Saturday 31 March 2012

TSG149--Sketch It Up!

The challenge on this week's "There She Goes" blog was to use this sketch (below) to create an item:
I took the opportunity to do my "homework for the "My Creative Classroom" on-line course I am presently following, called Everything Embossed-II.  Deena Zeigler shares LOTS of great ideas and techniques in this course--well worth the $$.

The technique I tried out involves stamping an image directly onto an embossing folder then adding card-stock and running it through your Cuttlebug or Sizzix machine. I used a Universal Backgrounds (D1477) stamp from Close to My Heart, and a music note folder by Cuttlebug. The result is pretty impressive--the stamping ends up appearing as background to the raised, embossed areas, which remain ink-free.

I had to do a bit of experimenting as regular dye-based ink did not show up well, and just smeared onto the cardstock. CTMH's Archival ink produced a cleaner, clearer image, but I ended up using a third version, done with a Color-Box Chalk ink-pad in Toffee for a more subtle look, on the eventual card.



This image shows the first, smeary version, then the second Archival Black ink version. I rubbed the embossed sections directly with a light-coloured ink-pad to emphasize them.










My card uses some discontinued card-making papers from CTMH called "Silhouette." One of my goals for Lent has been to complete un-finished projects, so I figure using up old material counts! The black button brads are also CTMH supplies. I used tan twill with a melody-print from Paper Wishes.  The sentiment is from the Perk Up! stamp set by There She Goes Clear Stamps. I love that sentiment...calms me down just looking at it...

This challenge runs through midnight, Sunday April 1st, if you have any crafty time over the weekend. See the link at the top of this posting.

1 comment:

  1. Love the technique and the finished product is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!