Tuesday 17 April 2012

CSC #86--Bohemian Meets Steampunk...

This lovely image is the inspiration photo for the challenge this week at Case Study Challenge.  The new muse for April is Laurie Schmidlin, who has a delightful, eclectic style.
Now this particular card is a bit more shabby-chic/collage-ish than I am comfortable with, however, I combined it with a past challenge image from Paper Smooches Sparks Challenge, pictured here:
You would think the two had ABSOLUTELY no connection, but here is what I came up with:
I was intrigued by the ghosted dress-making mannequin in the CSC image, which led me to a Steam-punk-themed kit of goodies I received from Paper Wishes (you can see the kit contents by clicking on the Paper Wishes link). The definition of Steampunk is: "The future as envisioned by the past." Typical images are Victoriana, gears and metals, inventions including early flight, collectibles, etc. Now you may be starting to see how I got from the pink onesie to the vintage image of the inspiration photo. The whole idea of clocks, time passing, butterflies developing and flying away...

My main image is the beautiful mannequin with the butterfly wings. It is a "papier tole die-cut," which you punch out and stack in layers with foam tape, to give a 3D effect. It is printed on foiled paper and is so shimmery and detailed. Here is a link to the item. I paired it with some pink foil paper and shimmery teal ribbon; I gave the mannequin a pink crepe ribbon sash to echo the ruffle on the onesie. The card base is grey patterned paper with subtle gears, from the Steampunk paper pack. The silver embossed words are another Paper Wishes product.






The clock face stamp is a Fiskars image, as is the sentiment, "time flies;" the clock hands are Dazzles stickers from the Steampunk kit. I added some extra flowers and a foiled butterfly, along with some jewels (I NEVER use 'em, but they fit this project so well!).















I used another of the sentiments from the stamp set for the inside of my card, along with some more patterned paper flags.


So I am very happy with how this turned out; I always like using up items from my stash (makes it easier to justify more purchases!) and I think I successfully captured the whole life-cycle, present-becomes-the-past idea. I just wish you could see the card in real life, to appreciate all that shimmer and shine!







4 comments:

  1. This card is like a piece of collage - it's beautiful. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I see the connection very well, and you made a wonderful card!! Thank you for playing the CASE Study this week. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!