Sunday 19 August 2012

H2H Colour Challenge--Colour Challenge

Lagoon, Sunset & Pear

Aren't these gorgeous sun-shiny colours? The challenge at Heart2Heart Challenges this week is to create a project using these three shades.

"It's Your Day" double stamp set
I chose to feature this double stamp set, which is available from August 15 to the end of September, through CTMH consultants.
As I had not yet had my summer vacation when I was working on this challenge, I used a photo from last summer and created a "pinwheel" card. This is a folding card, in this case, 4" square, which opens up to reveal a photo or message inside:
Card with securing "belly-band" removed
The following photos reveal the inside of the card, as the flaps are opened. A tutorial follows.



The photo is of my son and his girlfriend swimming in the Northumberland Strait, in PEI.  Happily, the "noodles" they were using fit the colour theme perfectly!

To create a 4" pinwheel, start with an 8" square of card-stock or double-sided paper (the heavier weight of the new CTMH DP papers make them ideal for this project). Cut off a 2" square at each corner:
You will want to round the corners, to make tucking them in easier. I used a large spool of thread to trace the shape and trimmed them with scissors, but if you have a very large corner-rounder, that would work as well.

Next, you will want to score the fold-lines, where the flaps meet the body of the card, as shown below. You may want to sponge the edges of the card, for extra definition.

This is the BACK of the card. I cut paper pieces slightly smaller than the flaps, so 3.5" x 1.75,"rounded the corners and stamped them with the diagonal lines stamp from the "It's Your Day" set. Although the stamp is not as wide as my paper pieces, because they are clear, it was easy to line up and stamp a second parallel line, matching up the diagonal lines on the stamp.


Cut your photo slightly smaller than 4" square--trim off 1/8" to 1/4"on two sides, to permit the card to fold easily. Similarly don't layer your embellishments TOO thick on the inside flaps, or you will have trouble folding and tucking in the flaps, or they will tear as you open and close the card.

You may wish to use a "belly band" to slip around the card, although it should stay closed once folded.
Here, I used a strip of PEAR cardstock, secured it loosely around the package, so it would slip on and off easily, then covered it with some Colour-Ready Seam Binding, dyed the same shade (anyone who has tips on how to do this, I'd love to hear them. I ended up making a green mess everywhere and could not get the ribbon to dry or the dye to set). 

I used a dimensional chipboard shape and heat-embossed one of the images from the stamp set onto it, creating my own "Irrestible." Then I could ink it to match my project, but the sentiment image remained white. I wound some Sunset baker's twine around the flower shape, and using some green "Sparkles," just to get more of those challenge colours into the mix!

Here is another version of this card:

I used a fancier shape for the rounded corners, and simple striped paper ("Miracle" paper pack).



So break out your ink pads and join in the Heart2Heart Challenge HERE.
Remember, you only have to include SOME Close to My Heart products to "play."

Happy Crafting!

Caroline



CTMH Products Used:
Lagoon, Sunset and Pear inks and card stock.
Buttercup inkpad.
Dotty For You paper pack (retired)
Colour-Ready Seam Binding Ribbon Z1732
Dimensional Elements "Mixed Shapes" Z1683
Paradise Assortment Baker's Twine  Z1702
Sparkles, Blue & Green Assortment Z1327

Non-CTMH Products:
Craft foam (Michael's)
Stickles glitter glue





3 comments:

  1. LOVE these fold out cards Caroline :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards Caroline! And the tutorial is fantastic! I'm inspired now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! Especially the one with Nate and Jenna!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!