Sunday 17 February 2013

Black and Blue all over...Dynamic Duos #40

The challenge at Dynamic Duos this week is a "Black Tie" event:  use these two colours,
with a "dessert option" of CLOUDS.

Dynamic Duos' "black and another colour" combination happens every four weeks. I seem to find it easier than some of the other monthly challenges, like the subtle and monochromatic ones.

As it happens, I was just using my cloud template the other day. My boys were up in the cra(p)ft room (their term for my crafty space!) making Valentine's cards for their sweethearts, and I demonstrated how to do a cloudy background. They declared the technique "worthy of Bob Ross." A compliment, indeed!
I got my technique from a tutorial by Wendy Ramlakhan, link HERE. It is surprisingly easy to do, with magical results. I created my cloud template from a piece of heavy-weight card-stock, but  quilting template plastic would work, too.

The idea for the card came from a project by Julie Ebersole in the most recent On-Line Card Classes, Clean & Simple #2 (BTW, she is the funnest presenter! So talented and such an infectious chuckle. She even writes like she talks on her blog). She showed techniques for layering a city-scape and used a paper-airplane stamp. Now, I don't have an airplane stamp, so I had to make a tiny paper airplane.

I know it looks kinda King Kong size against the sky-line, but it's sending LOTS of love...
I stamped the cityscape 1+1/2 times in black and added shading with some Copic markers in warm grey (an allowable neutral). Amazingly dimensional for a one-layer card, eh? The sentiment stamp was curved to describe the airplane's pathway.

Maybe one day I will send some love from New York City?!  For now, enjoying the nice sunny, blue-sky winter day here in Ottawa.

What is your take on "Black-and-Blue?" Link up your creation to Dynamic Duos, HERE. This challenge closes Thursday, Feb. 21st at 11:59 p.m.

Happy crafting,
Caroline

Supplies Used:
White Daisy card-stock
Black and Sky inks (CTMH)
Copic Markers W1 and W3
Super Powers C1485 and Say it in Style D1283 stamp sets (CTMH)
1.5" square printer paper, for the airplane

12 comments:

  1. Your card caught my eye right away! It's so very neat....the little paper airplane is darling! Thanks for playing along at Dynamic Duos this week!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paper airplane! This is a fun, playful card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way!! This is the cutest idea ever - I spotted your little airplane in the thumbnail and had to come and check it out... glad you could play along with us at Dynamic Duos this week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The clouds are fantastic, and I love the subtle coloring on the cityscape, and that paper airplane....so so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great scene, Caroline! Love how you've used the space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline! I love how you adapted what you had to create this fun card and so happy to know that design from class inspired you! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea..love the paper airplane! Thanks for joining us this week at Dynamic Duos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little city-scape with that adorable airplane. You're so patient to make that! Beautiful job. ;-) Thank you for joining us at Dynamic Duos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one darling card! The little paper airplane is adorable... and the cityscape (thanks for the quick tutorial when we chatted online).

    xox, Muggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is just too cute, I love the paper airplane and the lovely cloudy background. Thanks for sharing your card with us this week at Dynamic Duos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!