Thursday 8 May 2014

Water-Color-Blocking for Color My Heart #93

 Hello, crafty friends!

I'm Guest Designer this week, over at Color My Heart.
They are playing with a four-color palette:
CRANBERRY
HONEY
JUNIPER &
TWILIGHT

I've been "attending" Online Card Classes' latest offering, Watercolor for Card-Makers. It runs this week and next and is full of tips and techniques to add water-coloring to your bag of crafting tricks. 
I think the thing that's impressed me the most so far, is that you have little-to-no-control with watercolouring! Water just goes where it wants to, as in nature. You have to learn to "embrace the splotch..."
For my Color My Heart project, I tried a technique using my CTMH dye-based inks, a 1" square stamping block and a mister.
I applied the block directly to the ink-pad, misted it (the inked-up block) until the ink started to pool, and stamped onto a piece of watercolor paper, creating a color-block matrix of the four colours.
 The above image is one I tried using Distress Markers instead of ink pads.  Much more flowing and blending of the colours (see what I mean about no control?).
And here is the final card:
If the original squares aren't watery enough, you can go back and stamp over them again, after they've dried. For a final smudgy touch, I flicked some drops of water over the card.
The sentiment was stamped in Archival Black ink; the heart was stamped again on a scrap of paper, given the same watercolor treatment and popped up with foam tape.

Grab your ink-pads and head on over to Color My Heart to see some great creations by the rest of the team. We hope you'll get inky with us this week! Challenge rules are posted on the CMH blog.

Happy crafting,
Caroline

Supplies:
watercolor paper, Michaels
Colonial White cardstock card-base, CTMH
Dye-based ink pads in: Cranberry, Honey, Juniper and Twilight, Archival Black, CTMH
Acrylic stamping block
Mini-mister, Ranger Industries
Stamp set, CTMH
foam tape

6 comments:

  1. Love it Caroline.. What a great idea to use the small block to make a pattern!!! Isn't this class so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color combo, bold and bright and fun and your grid came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool; great way to use the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card, Caroline! I love the splotchy watercolor effect you've achieved. Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer this week at Color My Heart Color Dare--it's wonderful to have you back--even if it's only temporary.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look FABulous Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. J'ai acheté ce stylo réplique dans ce magasin.La qualité est excellente.pas cher mont blanc Je l'ai racheté plusieurs fois et le recommande à mes amis.pas cher montblanc m Ils louent tous la qualité du stylo et l'attitude de service du magasin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!