Thursday 30 March 2017

Mixed Media Mayhem!


Good morning, crafty friends.

I had to jump on board the Distress Oxide ink band-wagon after seeing several people's demonstration of their potential and:
  • ordered a half dozen colours to try out;
  • discovered a bottle of Frisket, the masking fluid, probably purchased sometime in 2016 and never opened, under a pile of patterned paper on the craft table;
  • needed a new "miss you" card for my hubby's suitcase...
All the right ingredients for an experiment!

Here's my card:


I bought this stamp set from Close to My Heart last year---my DH was a chemistry student when we met, so the sentiment is perfect!
I started by stamping the beakers onto the card base with archival black ink. I used a paper mask to give the illusion of one beaker being behind the other.
Then I covered them both, and the sentiment with the Frisket liquid. It's pretty easy to use, and dries translucent so you can see what is underneath.
Then I went to town with three colours of Distress Oxide ink: spiced marmalade, broken china and cracked pistachio. I smooshed the ink onto a craft mat, spritzed with water and then dragged the card base through the ink. Dried it off and began again; added some splatters... Very satisfying and completely random. 
Once it looked like a small explosion, I rubbed off the Frisket and coloured the beakers with alcohol markers. Added some bubbles from the stamp set with Oxide inks. And coated the beakers with Liquid Glass so they'd look glassy.
I just love the result!
 Let me know what you think, or tell me about your experiments with Distress Oxides.

Have a creative day!
Caroline

P.S.: getting in, better late than never,  to Kathy Racoosin's 30 Day Colouring Challenge, on Day 30!
Also linking up to Simon Says Stamp's National Craft Month post HERE

1 comment:

  1. Love your card Caroline. I've resisted going oxide so far but drool every time I see another amazing application!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!